Copyright 2008 Spark of Hope. All Rights Reserved.
"There are those who enter the world in such poverty that they are deprived of both the means and motivation to improve their lot... It is for us, who are more fortunate, to provide that Spark."
The newly constructed Spark of Hope School opened its doors in September 2005 offering high-quality education to the children of Goharabad and the surrounding villages. Resting at the bed of the mountainous region in the Northern Areas in Baltikstan, the school is visible to all who pass through this area. It is located approximately 50 kilometers northwest of Gilgit in the Ghizer District.
After a complete re-construction of the existing land, the initial infrastructure of Spark of Hope included six classrooms, accomodating 42 primary school children. Due to an increasing demand for further education stemming from the Goharabadi community itself, we have been extremely proud to welcome a substantial increase in both the quality and quantity of educational institutions in this remote mountainous region: Spark of Hope now accomodates 189 children in primary, secondary and early childhood education.
Spark of Hope offers 11 classrooms, a computer-learning centre, an office, kitchen, and guest room. It is our hope that this expansion of education, allowing a greater number of students to attend while simultaneously ensuring that the quality of education is maintained, will open many doors for the children of Goharabad, increasing their marketability in the workforce and/or increase their competitiveness for admission into higher education institutions in the nearby area or abroad.
Basic education is imperative for creating pluralism, understanding, and societal growth; the Goharabadi people, with the help of Spark of Hope, are creating a positive future for their families and children.
The directors of Spark of Hope have worked in close conjunction with the local Goharabadi community to design and implement a visionary, first-of-its-kind formal educational structure consisting of a primary and junior high school. The impetus, desire, and passion stem from the people in the village; the directors of Spark of Hope provide access to resources, organization, and oversight to fulfill this dream. Spark of Hope is guided by principles of cultural sensitivity, local ownership, understanding, and reciprocity - principles which will enable the long-term sustainability of the Spark of Hope.
Success of the program is constantly and consistently measured by the extent to which the needs of the local population are being met. Since the school's inception, the Goharabadi community has voluntarily taken initiative to raise additional funds for the costs of running the School. The community currently contributes 10% of the cost of running the School and the other 90% is financed by the Spark of Hope Foundation.